Saturday, November 7, 2009

Adventures in Homemaking

I am on a quest to be as responsible with our rescources as possible. My first decision was to start using coupons to save at the grocery store. Now, this decision was two - fold: 1.) I wanted to save money and 2.) I wanted to shop at Krogers, because they have a better selection than the Wal-Mart by my house. So with the help of my coupons I have been able to save quite a large amount of money - which means getting better quality food and a better selection! That means one happy mama!!

My next decision is I decided to try out making my own laundry and dishwasher detergent. I researched this online quite extensively and found a recipe I wanted to try. (If you are interested here is the link: http://tipnut.com/10-homemade-laundry-soap-detergent-recipes/) So, after waiting for the store bought detergents to run out, I made my own. The dishwashing one needs a little tweaking, leaves a slight film on the plastic, but I am pretty happy with how it is working. I am trying the laundry one today. Will let you know how it turns out! I am so excited, hope it is not a bust. Even if it is, the cost was so minimal! I think it cost about $5.00 to buy the ingredients - and I have so much left that I will be able to make more should I like the way it works!!

Will hopefully post tomorrow on how great it turned out!


1 comment:

Tracie said...

That's awesome!

Here are some recipes for spa-type stuff.

http://www.spaindex.com/HomeSpa/HomeSpa.htm

It's an excellent way to use fruit that is over ripe.

I use vinegar and baking soda to clean a lot. They work good. I'm anxious to hear how your detergents work.