Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A New (Original) Journey

It has been a while since I have posted on here! There has been so much going on in my life! So, here comes an update!

First, and probably the biggest change, we have started home schooling our kids. This was a big step of trust and faith for us. Our children had both attended public school, so they have something to compare our home school journey to. While we were blessed with awesome teachers during our time in public school, the reality of what we were settling for was setting in! Abel and I began to question our choices in December of 2008 - there were so many negatives that we were dealing with on a daily basis. Our son went from loving to go to school, to hating it! Our daughter, was getting picked on in Pre-K - and not your normal "you stink" teasing. Our children, the most precious gifts we have, we away from us for 8 - 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year! We had no control over who was influencing them.

As we discussed our options, I felt the Lord leading us to home school. (I have been desiring to home school my children since Aiden was in Kindergarten, but knew that until Abel and I were in agreement, public school was our choice.) After serious thought, prayer, discussion, and more prayer we decided we would make the jump to become a home schooling family. The peace that I felt after making that decision was immense! I knew that we were doing the right thing for our family. We did finish the public school year, because we felt it is important to finish commitments. I can say it was hard to go back after Christmas break, knowing that we had already decided to make the change. But, we endured and finished the year!

We have been home schooling for a little less than a month. The things my children come up with are amazing. God is teaching me so much through them and through this new journey. I think the most important thing I am learning is that what God desires for my life is for me to be an original. And by that I mean this: I am not meant to blend into life. I do not need to worry about how my decisions will look to others - as long as I am following Christ and He is leading me, the rest is unimportant. My decisions will probably not be popular. People may think Abel and I are a little bit extreme in our belief that dying to self, and allowing God to direct our steps is the only way to live. Is this way of living easy? Not all the time, but the peace I have more than makes up for the difficult times.

So, as I continue this New (Original) Journey, I hope to be able to use this blog to share what God is showing me. How about you? What has God been showing you lately?

3 comments:

Tracie said...

I'm so excited to learn about your new journey!

God's journeys are not always "safe" but he will provide and protect you the entire way.

(((Hugs)))

Diana said...

Wow that was really good Bree...well said!! And hey great minds do think alike...lol!!! What I think God is showing me lately is to fully rely on him, no matter what circumstances I face! As you may know it gets challenging at times but its so rewarding when I'm able to let go and put my faith in the Lord and fully trust that he's in control!!! Love ya looking forward to hearing more!

jackie35 said...

Fantastic! I think you and Abel are not only excelent parents but also excellent people. And I give you giagantic props for silencing all the other voices and focusing on the only one that mattered, God's. Congratulations on homeschooling, I know you are going to do great and your kids are going to do fantastic!