Monday, November 24, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes....

Isn't it funny how we are the ones put in charge of teaching our children, but so often they end up teaching us? Abel and I work very hard to teach our children about God, and having a relationship with him - which can be pretty difficult somedays, we are talking about a 4 and 6 year old! But then, there are those moments, when they say or do something that humbles you. I would like to share one of those.

Every morning on the way to school, I say a prayer with the kids. We pray for their classmates, teachers and for their behavior. Several weeks ago I started adding my paraphase of Philippians 4:13 (I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.) Usually that part of the prayer went something like this: Thank you Jesus that I can do all things through you, because you give me the strength to do my best.

Well, Olivia took that part and made it her own! Now every time we pray morning or night - she adds her own interpretation: "Thank you that we can do all things through Christ, and if we do not do all things through Christ we can not do things."

WOW!!! My four year old has captured a fundamental truth, and stated it so simply! The best thing is, she really believes this to the core of her being. I am so grateful that she had a heart for Jesus at such a young age. She is teaching me everytime she says this prayer!

4 comments:

Samina said...

that is awesome! i believe our children were sent to each of us to teach us OUR life lessons! thank you jesus! :)

Tracie said...

So cute!

Maribel said...

Our kiddos can be so inspiring! That was so cute!!

Kimberly Kay said...

Awesome blog, Bree! You definitely have a talent for it, so I hope this year is the year that you reach new heghts with your blog.

Love you,
Mom