Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Quiet Heart

I am working through a devotional book my friend Tracie passed on to me. It is titled "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. This book is wonderful, when Tracie passed it on to me, I did not know how important it would become. Soon after I started the bible study, my husband lost his job. Fast forward a month or so, and he still does not have a job. I am learning how to be content first hand! When I started the bible study I thought it would be a good study for me to work through some of my quirks - ha! I did not know the words and scriptures listed would become a great source of encouragement for me. There are so many wonderful points in the book, however, there is one part I know the Lord keeps sending me back to that I want to share. Hope you enjoy it too!

Psalm 16:5 Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.

Speaker and author Elisabeth Elliot makes this thought-provoking statement about Psalm 16:5:

"I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion" ("This belongs to it, that does not")? Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assignment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion other options are cancelled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives."

The last line is my favorite! I am praying that in all circumstances God will teach me how to have a quiet heart.

2 comments:

Diana said...

I know you read my blog girl...."there is a purpose!!!" I know I dont have to tell you that because you already know!!! Hang in there and know he's in control!!!

Maribel said...

Hang in there, God will never give you more then what you can handle. I always remind myself that everything that happens, is all part of his plan. He will never leave us, even in the midst of our trials. Girl, Im walking proof!!!