Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Truthful Tuesday

Today will be my first  Truthful Tuesday post.  After much prayer, I have decided to start with the story of how God restored my marriage. I choose to share this story so that God can receive ALL the glory - what was done in my marriage is a perfect example of God's love, compassion and mercy in both mine and Abel's life. 

My Story - Part 1

"Everyone says the first 5 years of marriage are the hardest. "

"Maybe you are expecting too much?" 

"Have you been praying about it?"

Anytime I heard the above responses in my quest for understanding and comfort, I wanted to scream: "Yes, I know what everyone says, no I do not think I am expecting too much, and I am praying!!??!?!?" How could I not be? I had two children under the age of 3, a husband that was so distant, the only way we communicated was fighting and a bucketful of questions. I was at the end of my rope. 

For the past five years I had constantly questioned my choices, my ability to hear from God, my value and my marriage. Is this what God has for me? There must be something better - at least I hope! Yet, here I was yet again pleading with God to give me the ok to leave my marriage. I just wanted some peace. To be able to leave the constant pressure cooker that was my life.  I wanted stability for my kids. How many times would Abel and I fight and yell, threaten each other with divorce? This could not go on. But it did, eventually to the point of Abel living with his parents for several months. 

During the time Abel lived with his parents I kept questioning God. Why me? What have I done? Did I not hear you right? The questions kept coming, but no answers.  Soon, we were in counseling and Abel moved back home. I hoped for the best, but still felt something was not right. But, I tried to put that aside, and move forward. I reasoned that this was my life - I had committed to this marriage before God, my family and friends. Even if things did not change, I had to do what God was telling me to do and stay. So, I put on a mask and pretended things were getting better - but at home with just me and God, I knew what was damaging our marriage.

I felt stuck. Weeks went by, the band-aid we had put on our marriage was beginning to give way. What do I do with this nagging in my heart? I know there is something Abel is not telling me. With all the work we are putting in - why are we not getting any closer? 

As I put all these thoughts out of my head, I struggled to get my mask ready. Today was my son's birthday party! We were going to celebrate, it was all about him! I had to get ready, it takes a while to put on the "things are getting better" costume. Thankfully Abel had gone to get us some lunch, so I was alone for a bit.  Maybe I could relax for a bit?? 

Nope, not a chance, he is back.  Well, at least lunch is here.  Before I could get up from the bed, Abel was in the bedroom. Something was wrong - he looked awful! All the color was drained from his face. I asked what was wrong - if he was sick, did he need to go to the hospital? I had never seen him like this. 

"No," he replied "just need to tell you something." 

In that moment, I knew. I do not know how to explain it, but I knew what he was about to tell me. ...

"For the past year or so, I have been having a relationship with someone else."

9 comments:

Tracie said...

I know this was a difficult time in your life but the way you tell this story and about your reliance on God is so beautiful. Your strong faith has always been an inspiration to me.

I can't wait until part 2, because I know God worked in more ways than I know.

You are so amazing. Thank you for sharing your story.

Love you girl!

Bree said...

Tracie -

Thank you so much. This is not the easiest story to tell, but I know that God wants me to do it.

I am so glad that God brought our friendship back together! The work you are allowing God to do in your life is so beautiful - keep at it!

Love you!!!

Samina said...

*tear* Bree, what an amazing amount of faith it takes to tell a story like this. God is so awesome, and He shines through you, because YOU leaned on HIM through a time that that was all you could do. He has rewarded you for that!

You told me that you needed space between us (at that point in our friendship) because you wanted to make sure that you did what God wanted you to do. I could not ask anything else; I stood by you, if not in the physical, but definitely in the spiritual. I know how much you and Abel meant to each other, and that through God, all things were possible; and that in the end, God would restore our friendship as well.

I cannot tell you or express to you how proud of you I am...what an awesome amount of resilience you have! That is a true testament of what a beautiful person you are.

I love you and treasure our friendship...you are such an inspiration to me.

Maribel said...

Sometimes the most difficult times... are blessings in disguise!! Its awesome how God moves in our lives!! Love you Bree!!

Bree said...

Samina,


I appreciate your willingness to give me the space and support me from a distance more than you will ever know.

I love you!

Carrie Thompson said...

I understand that this story is hard to tell. I applaud you doing and it and wonder if I at all brave enough to share my own? I dont know!

I do know that whatever your story is...the fact that you looked to God is the real story.

Diana said...

Bree,
What an awesome testimony you have of how the Lord can mend, repair and restore relationships!!! Ordinarily people would find it hard to write about things like this but I know its only through the Lords healing that your able to share this and give God all the honor and glory!!! I'm happy for you that the Lord worked in your marriage you deserve all the happiness in the world!!! TYJ!!!

Kimberly Kay said...

Bree,
I am so proud of you. You will probably never know how many people you will help and encourage by being brave enough to tell your story. And you are telling it with such eloquence and grace.

You have been an inspiration to me more times than you will ever know. Telling your story is just the latest in a long line of such expressions of faith and strength.

I love you,
Mom

Unknown said...

I am so proud of you and how far you all have come since then. I am glad you listened to god.